Week 6 of the 2023 Clausura is now accomplished and dusted, and in our newest Liga MX recap, we’re going by means of the largest speaking factors from Mexico’s high flight. Along with some extra observations and extra, listed below are the highlights from Jornada 6.
– Liga MX standings | Liga MX protection on ESPN Deportes
– Futbol Americas on ESPN+: Liga MX, MLS, USMNT, El Tri
Tijuana brings back ‘Piojo’ to rekindle Xolos
Ahead of Valentine’s Day, two former Liga MX companions have rekindled their relationship for a second time. Years after their first and profitable stint from 2015 by means of 2017 that led to 2 top-of-the-table finishes in the 2016 Apertura and 2017 Clausura common seasons, Club Tijuana and supervisor Miguel “Piojo” Herrera are back collectively once more.
“[I’m] happy and glad to be back home,” Herrera mentioned in his official unveiling final Saturday. “I left with the idea of returning and today it’s being fulfilled.”
Herrera will seemingly by no means admit it, however he is undoubtedly settling when you think about the flirtatious eyes he not too long ago gave to the Mexico males’s nationwide group. Reportedly in the operating to steer El Tri‘s senior males’s squad, it is no coincidence that he wasn’t formally introduced as Club Tijuana’s coach till after Mexico determined to as a substitute give the supervisor place to Diego Cocca.
For fifteenth positioned Xolos, there’s seemingly a information that they may merely be a rebound and never one thing long-term for the coach that was fired by Tigres final November. Let’s not neglect that after being gifted a brand new automotive by Club Tijuana possession throughout his birthday in 2017 — comically giant bow included — Herrera finally left them months later to companion with the extra alluring Club America.
That mentioned, Xolos are determined for a change. Following a rocky managerial relationship with former supervisor Ricardo Valiño, who led the group by means of a 13-game winless streak, a choice was then made to fireside Valiño on February 3. Now, with Herrera back on the helm, there’s hopes that they’ll recreate the identical magic made a number of years in the past.
At the very least, that winless streak is now over. It took a one-man benefit at house final Friday and an own-goal in the 93rd minute from Atletico San Luis, however with Herrera watching in the stands hours after his hiring, Club Tijuana’s 1-0 victory marked the primary time they’ve claimed a win since August.
The match was an unsightly and sophisticated one for Xolos, however then once more, what romantic union is not every so often?
Tigres start post-Cocca period with thriller win
Things did not precisely finish amicably between Tigres and and now former coach Diego Cocca. Ahead of his official unveiling as Mexico’s males’s nationwide group supervisor late final week, the Liga MX membership determined to maneuver a step forward a day earlier and announce that he was dropped.
“We have decided to terminate the working relationship with Diego Cocca as Technical Director of Club Tigres after knowing his decision to accept the coach position of the Mexican National Team. The institution will always be first,” started a press release from Tigres on Thursday.
Only in cost since November, Cocca’s transfer from the Liga MX group to El Tri was a troublesome tablet to swallow for these in cost of Tigres. According to ESPN MX, Cocca resigned from Tigres on Wednesday with the information he would lead Mexico. “The decision is his, we want people who are committed,” mentioned membership president Mauricio Culebro throughout final Thursday’s information convention.
Nonetheless, there was no room for heartbreak throughout Saturday night time’s house recreation in opposition to Pumas. With interim supervisor Marco Antonio “Chima” Ruiz in cost, Tigres earned an entertaining 4-2 win that featured a goal-of-the-season candidate from striker Andre-Pierre Gignac.
THE GOAL OF THE TOURNAMENT! 😍😍😍😍😍😍
Crazy play from Córdova and phenomenal volley from Gignac
— TUDN USA (@TUDNUSA) February 12, 2023
With an instantaneous victory below Ruiz, 4 objectives scored over the weekend and a present spot at second in the desk, you may not discover many Tigres supporters who’re going to be mourning the divorce between Cocca and the membership.
Cruz Azul’s Gutierrez could possibly be subsequent supervisor to go
Once a knight in shining armor, Cruz Azul supervisor Raul “Potro” Gutierrez has gone from savior to outcast in a matter of months.
When the supervisor first stepped into his function with the Mexico City membership final August, he finally revived the group that was as soon as in seventeenth to a playoff-worthy spot at seventh in the 2022 Apertura desk. In the preseason forward of the present Clausura, there have been indicators of promise with a Copa por Mexico title, however since then, they’ve began off the 12 months with a dismal 0W-1D-4L document.
Defensively, they’ve accomplished a reasonably common job, however transferring ahead with the ball, it is worrisome to see their lack of probability creation and effectiveness in entrance of the web. During Sunday’s 3-1 away loss to Toluca — in which the house facet celebrated its 106th anniversary — Cruz Azul had a handful of huge probabilities missed that appeared to represent their season thus far.
With questions surrounding the group, many have now fallen out of affection with Gutierrez. On Sunday, ESPN MX reported that though Cruz Azul’s possession aren’t able to half methods with Gutierrez simply but, they’re nonetheless contemplating their choices. Whether Gutierrez continues to be in cost by the subsequent match, an away recreation in opposition to Puebla this Friday.
– Elsewhere in Week 6: Leon doubled their aim tally in the Clausura after defeating Queretaro away 3-0, a aim and help from Rogelio Funes Mori pushed first place Monterrey to a 2-0 victory over Atlas, Mazatlan have remained actually pointless after dropping 3-1 in opposition to Puebla, Henry Martin scored his seventh aim of the season in a 2-1 win for Club America over Necaxa, FC Juarez moved as much as sixth place with a 3-1 victory in opposition to Santos Laguna, and Pachuca bounced back to carry Chivas to a 1-1 draw.
– In his presentation as the brand new supervisor for Mexico, Cocca introduced an intention to have a better relationship with Liga MX golf equipment. True to his phrase, and on his birthday, the Argentine coach was current a day after his hiring at Club America vs. Necaxa.
– Love, and in addition some drinks, are in the air. FC Juarez defender Carlos Salcedo, maybe now not nervous about Dry January, requested for what was seemingly a beer from native supporters throughout a aim celebration in Juarez’s newest win, took a drink, and then threw it back into the crowd.
– Not to be outdone by Gignac, Chivas’ Victor Guzman added a highlight-worthy golazo of his personal in the 1-1 draw with Pachuca.
– If you thought you had a tough week, simply depend your self fortunate that you just’re not this Atlas fan who proposed throughout halftime of final week’s recreation in opposition to Monterrey…and was then turned down by his partner. After the failed proposal, Atlas would go on to permit a few objectives and lose 2-0.