Bruno Fernandes scored twice to ship Portugal by to the knockout levels from Group H with a sport to spare after beating Uruguay 2-0.
Cristiano Ronaldo thought he had scored a second-half header though the striker didn’t get a contact to Fernandes’ cross which ended up within the web.
Portugal’s deserved lead got here only a minute after a protester had invaded the pitch carrying a rainbow flag and sporting a t-shirt which learn “Save Ukraine” and “Respect for Iranian women”.
Uruguay nearly equalised when substitute Maxi Gomez hit a submit earlier than Luis Suarez missed from shut-vary – however they had been punished within the ninetieth minute as a VAR verify noticed Jose Maria Gimenez adjudged to have dealt with the ball within the space and, with Ronaldo having been introduced off, Fernandes tucked away the spot kick.
Big moments within the sport…
- 33 min: Bentancur breaks by Portugal defence with sensible run however Is denied by Costa
- 41 min: Portugal’s Mendes leaves the pitch in tears as he’s compelled off injured
- 53 min: Protester carrying delight flag and supporting Iranian ladies and Ukraine invades pitch
- 54 min: Fernandes cross finds the web as Ronaldo misses header
- 75 min: Substitute Gomez hits submit with first-time effort from fringe of the Portugal field
- 78 min: Suarez misses shut-vary effort moments after coming off the bench
- 79 min: De Arrascaeta chip saved by Costa as Uruguay push for equaliser
- 90+3 min: VAR verify sees Fernandes web penalty after Gimenez handball
- 90+8 min: Fernandes strikes a submit seeking hat-trick
How Portugal certified for the final 16
Portugal: Costa (8), Joao Cancelo (7), Dias (7), Pepe (7), Mendes (6), Silva (7), Neves (6), Carvalho (7), Fernandes (9), Ronaldo (7), Felix (7).
Subs: Nunes (n/a), Guerreiro (7), Palhinha (n/a), Leao (6), Ramos (n/a).
Uruguay: Rochet (5), Coates (6), Godin (6), Gimenez (6), Varela (6), Valverde (6), Vecino (5), Bentancur (7), Olivera (5), Nunez (5), Cavani (5).
Subs: Pellistri (6), Suarez (5), De Arrascaeta (6), Gomez (6).
Man of the match: Bruno Fernandes
Portugal dominated a colorless first half but Uruguay had one of the best likelihood when Rodrigo Bentancur splendidly weaved by the defence, however was denied one of many nice World Cup targets by goalkeeper Diogo Costa.
Nuno Mendes left the pitch in tears after being compelled off injured though issues did enhance for Portugal within the second half as soon as the sport had restarted following the protest from a supporter.
Fernandes floated a cross into the field for Ronaldo, who had a transparent header at aim. However, he didn’t get a contact to the ball which carried on by into the nook.
Uruguay rallied with quarter-hour remaining and began enjoying a few of their finest soccer. Gomez struck a submit with a primary-time effort from the sting of the field, Suarez stabbed an effort into the aspect-netting when he ought to have scored and Giorgian de Arrascaeta had a chip saved by Costa.
- Fernando Santos made two adjustments to the Portugal aspect that beat Ghana. Pepe, 39, got here in for his one hundred and thirtieth cap and in addition William Carvalho.
- Edinson Cavani was chosen forward of Luis Suarez to steer the Uruguay line as Guillermo Varela and Sebastian Coates additionally got here in.
They had been made to pay for his or her missed probabilities on the finish of regular time when Gimenez’s trailing hand touched the ball as he lunged right into a deal with on Fernandes, who dispatched the penalty awarded by referee Alireza Faghani after he was instructed to verify the pitchside monitor.
Fernandes’ nearly accomplished an ideal night time as his low drive from the sting of the world got here again off a submit.
What does the end result imply?
Portugal are by to the final 16, together with France and Brazil, however nonetheless want some extent to be declared Group H winners. Ghana are the one remaining rival for high spot, however the Africans may nonetheless end behind each South Korea and Uruguay.
For these two groups, the equation is easy: win or go dwelling. But even profitable will not be sufficient. Victories for each Uruguay and South Korea would depart them stage on 4 factors and separated solely on aim distinction, however a win for South Korea can be tutorial if Ghana beat Uruguay.
Some extent for Ghana coupled with a win for Korea would additionally make aim distinction – and presumably targets scored – the last word adjudicator.
Opta stats: Uruguay struggling at each ends
- Portugal have received their opening two group video games of a World Cup for the third time, additionally doing so in 1966 and 2006 once they reached the semi-finals on each events.
- Uruguay have failed to attain in three consecutive World Cup video games for under the second time ever, additionally drawing a clean in three straight video games within the competitors between 1986 and 1990.
- Only Brazil (0) and Ecuador (1) have confronted fewer opposition photographs on the right track on the 2022 World Cup than Uruguay (3), who conceded with two of the three they confronted in the present day.
- Bruno Fernandes has been immediately concerned in eight targets in his final 5 appearances for Portugal, scoring 5 and helping three.
What else occurred on the World Cup on Monday?
A manic Monday on the World Cup kicked off with Cameroon getting back from 3-1 down to attract 3-3 with Serbia in Group G. It is a end result that does little to assist both aspect, who each wanted to win to spice up their qualification hopes though head into their final matches nonetheless with an opportunity of ending second.
The targets continued to move as Ghana secured an important 3-2 victory over South Korea in Group H, leaving them with all to play for of their last match in opposition to Uruguay.
Brazil secured a spot within the knockout levels by edging previous Switzerland 1-0 because of Casemiro’s aim.