Uruguay and South Korea battled to a goalless draw of their Group H opener on the 2022 World Cup.
The South American aspect began with Liverpool forwards previous and current as Darwin Nunez lined up alongside Luis Suarez, whereas Heung-Min Son was match sufficient to start out for South Korea after his latest fractured eye socket, however none of them might discover the breakthrough regardless of a energetic encounter in Qatar.
It leaves either side’ possibilities of reaching the final 16 broad open, as Uruguay put together to face Portugal subsequent, whereas South Korea meet Ghana.
Big moments within the sport…
- 34 minutes: Moon-Hwan Kim finds Ui-jo Hwang in house within the field, however he fires over the crossbar.
- 44 minutes: Diego Godin rises highest at a nook however heads in opposition to the South Korea publish.
- 90 minutes: Federico Valverde rattles the publish with a fierce drive from distance for Uruguay.
Uruguay hit publish twice however no breakthrough in Group H opener
South Korea got here out with loads of attacking intent and endeavour, however lacked a medical edge in entrance of objective. Their greatest likelihood of the primary half got here after 34 minutes as Moon-Hwan Kim discovered Ui-Jo Hwang in house within the field, however he might solely fireplace over the crossbar.
Just earlier than the break, Uruguay ought to have taken the lead themselves as Diego Godin rose highest at a nook, however his header rattled the publish earlier than bouncing clear.
Uruguay went shut once more in direction of the top as Federico Valverde’s fierce drive from simply exterior the field slammed in opposition to the surface of the woodwork, earlier than Son went up the opposite finish and lashed simply broad himself from vary.
Premier League watch: Pellistri struggles to make his mark
There have been loads of Premier League stars on present on the Education City Stadium, however one title that caught the attention on the teamsheets was that of Facundo Pellistri.
Aged 20, the winger is but to make a senior look for Manchester United, however was handed a begin and his eighth cap by Uruguay head coach Diego Alonso.
Lining up in a entrance three alongside Nunez and Suarez, Pellistri was energetic at occasions however finally struggled to have a lot of an impression in his 88 minutes on the pitch. To be truthful, he was not likely alone there. It will probably be attention-grabbing to see if Alonso sticks with him for the following sport, or maybe reverts to the expertise of Edinson Cavani as a substitute.
- Among groups who’ve performed 50+ video games on the World Cup, solely England (16 per cent) have the next share of goalless attracts within the event than Uruguay (14 per cent – 8/57).
- Uruguay have gone 465 minutes since they final conceded a objective within the group stage of the World Cup, with this being their fifth such consecutive clear sheet – certainly, Wayne Rooney was the final participant to web in opposition to them in a bunch stage match (for England in June 2014).
- There was just one shot on the right track on this match (by Uruguay), regardless of the 2 groups amassing 17 photographs between them – since 1966 (when this information is obtainable), solely Denmark v Scotland in 1986 has featured extra whole photographs (27) with solely one among them being on the right track.
- At the age of 36 years and 281 days, Diego Godín turned the oldest participant to look for Uruguay in a World Cup match. This was his fifteenth begin within the competitors; essentially the most of any outfield participant for Uruguay on the World Cup.
What does the outcome imply?
It leaves Group H broad open for either side as they head into their second group video games on Monday, with Uruguay assembly Portugal, and South Korea dealing with Ghana.